Our whole lives are now dependent on electricity. Without it, life would be nothing in terms of electricity usage and the implementation of various technologies. Day by day, lighting systems are getting modified to make our lives smoother and more comfortable.
There was a time when people had to use a massive amount of wires so that they can lighten up only a single light bulb. But now, only a single press on the switch solves the entire problem.
This article will provide all the necessary information on both Halogen and LED bulbs, and in the end, you will get to know which one is the best to choose.
Let’s get started.
A halogen bulb is a kind of incandescent bulb. The bulb has a filament inside enclosed by halogen gas.
As the switch is turned on, the tungsten in the filament evaporates, and a chemical reaction goes between the gas and the tungsten. In this way, the bulb lights up. The chemical mixture helps the bulb to illuminate at a higher temperature.
- Halogen bulb emits heat around 80 to 90% of their total energy.
- The power consumption is on an average of 90 Watts.
- The lifespan is not that huge. It is around 800 to 1200 hours.
- The cost is moderate. A single bulb costs around $3 to $5.
- The emission of UV rays is quite reasonable.
- The lights emitted by halogen bulbs are very bright, and it is used as floodlights commonly.
- The weight is quite low, and the size is also very moderate.
- Manufacturing cost is low.
- The lifespan is higher than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- The color temperature is better in comparison to tungsten (standard one).
- The light illuminates instantly when the switch is turned on and fades away quickly the time it switches off.
- The bulbs get extremely hot, and if you touch them accidentally, you will get burned.
- The bulbs emit UV rays that are not suitable for the wall. Your wall might get darkened due to the constant heat from the bulbs.
- The efficiency is not as good as the one you can experience in LED.
- It emits a huge amount of heat energy so if you have some combustible stuff near the bulbs; an explosion might occur.
You can use halogen bulbs anywhere whether it is in commercial or residential space. These are very familiar and commonly used in automotive lighting, under cabinet lighting, spotlights, desk lamps, track lighting, and many more.
Read Also: How To Dispose Of Halogen Bulbs
The LED (Light Emitting Diode)
LED is a semiconductor model that consists of two leads. It is made up of a p-n junction diode, and when the switch is turned on, the current passes and lights are emitted. LEDs are very famous and trendy nowadays. People prefer LEDs over halogen bulbs as the efficiency is higher in comparison to the halogen ones.
- The LED bulb emits heat around 10 to 20% of its total energy.
- The power consumption is on an average of only 8 Watts.
- The lifespan is huge. It is around 50000 to 60000 hours.
- The cost is higher than the halogen bulb. A single bulb costs around $6 to $8.
- There is no emission of UV rays.
- The efficiency of LED bulbs is very high. If you compare it with halogen bulbs in terms of energy, it is considered 80% more efficient.
- The electricity consumption is very little in comparison to halogen bulbs.
- Though the price is high, it will decrease your electricity consumption, and that is how you will be able to save a substantial amount of money.
- The radiation of heat energy is very less, and if the bulbs are touched accidentally, the hands won’t be burned.
- As mentioned already, there will be no emission of UV rays from this bulb so your wall will be safe from getting darkened.
- Once you turn off the switch, the bulbs cool off very quickly.
- You can use it for an extended period without any doubt.
- Lots of colorful bulbs are available to decorate your rooms, shops, or even offices.
- It is environment friendly due to its zero-emission of UV rays.
- The manufacturing cost is quite high in comparison to halogen bulbs.
- The price is high.
- The light illumination may fail if the lamp is placed in a colder area.
As LED bulbs emit less heat, it is used in shops, restaurants, and many other places where public gathering is enormous. It is also used in residential, commercial, and industrial areas.
Nowadays, people use it in under cabinet lighting, accent lighting, entry path, museums, and many other places where the illumination of light is specific.
Which Bulb To Go For?
Clearly, the mentioned information states that LED bulbs are the best to go for. It is durable as well as highly efficient. You can think the price is more, but you have to keep in mind that your bill will go down and so, in the longer run, you will be able to save a lot of money. These benefits cannot be reaped from halogen bulbs.
Also, the choice of bulbs depends on the area that you are going to use. If you prefer to use it in playgrounds for your kids, use halogen bulbs as they are durable in higher temperatures and the lights will spread to the whole stadium. In other cases, LED bulbs will come in handy for your specific purpose.
Hope you have got all the information that you were looking for. This article is there for you so that you can clearly understand which one is actually the best.
Have a good day!